The wonderful benefits of Alpaca
They are very cute and have many benefits:
- Alpaca is softer than cashmere, and you won’t have to unravel thrift store sweaters to feel good about using it.
- Alpaca is stronger than sheep’s wool. Alpaca fibre is hollow, making it firm but fine and soft. It is 7 times warmer and stronger than sheep’s wool, producing garments that last longer.
- Alpaca farming is sustainable. Alpacas are free roaming on farms and serve as guard animals. They are shorn once a year. Since alpaca is a natural fiber, it will biodegrade at the end of its useful life. This might be a long time since garments made from alpaca fiber can last decades and look as good as new.
- Alpaca is a great alternative to wool if you are allergic to sheep wool. Alpaca fiber is hypoallergenic and doesn’t contain lanolin. This means it doesn’t need to be treated and it traps less dirt and allergens. If you are allergic to sheep’s wool, wearing a sweater made from alpaca yarn won’t bother your skin.
- Great for Sensitive Skin – for all the above reasons, alpaca yarn is ideal for knitting hats and clothing for babies and children with sensitive skin.
- Alpaca fiber is considered naturally flame resistant.
- Alpaca fiber is naturally water resistant and water repellant. It wicks water away and absorbs very little.
Every piece of clothing has an impact – buy better – quality over quantity.